Saturday, February 19, 2011

Keeping Busy!

So I've just reached my 4 month and 1 week Dutchiversary and it seems like I've barely grazed the surface of the wide range of activities that Amsterdam must have to offer. I've searched through the usual ways I would back home, hoping to find like minded people who want to share activities. For some reason for the first four months my Google searches for 'running partners Amsterdam', 'creative people Amsterdam', etc; were coming up short handed. But everything changed this week.

I found two AMAZING sites this week that have quickly filled up my calendar with exciting upcoming events.

First off, Meet-up. I had tried Meet-up in San Francisco years before with less than ideal results (even though I have a friend there who swears by it), so it didn't immediately come to mind. It was buried deep in my mental database. Anyway! I have joined about 15 Meet-up groups. It's a mixed bunch of Dutch locals and Expats, which I find wonderful. There are groups for cultural activities, fitness, cooking, language; just about everything you could want. VERY HAPPY.

Secondly I found a site called Creative Amsterdam. Truly though, it's so much more than a website...it's what I've been looking for ever since I came here. Luckily years ago I registered with one of the affiliates so I was able to join easily. I'd imagine that you can almost instantaneously join an affiliate and then join Creative Amsterdam, I don't think the sign up process is meaning to be exclusive. Rather they seem very inclusive and I'm excited to have found such an amazing source and access point to Amsterdam's amazing creative minds.

Fun fact: Amsterdam is the 5th largest creative hub in the world.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment