Thursday, January 6, 2011

oh those things...an introduction to the basics

as an expat in holland, the three most challenging things i've found are finding housing, employment, and learning the language. i find the other cultural differences, navigating everyday life, and basic shopping more enjoyable; rather than points of contention. also, i don't have children; so my basics are very much about me, me, me, me...and my partner :)

in my last post i mentioned how i initially tackled the language. the basics are quirky, but with proper attention i should be conversation ready in about six months. having said that, i know that mastering Dutch is a challenge i will be facing for many years to come. i'm very glad i got started as soon as possible. i didn't mention in my last post, but there was a guy in my beginners class who had been living here for 14 years and was just now taking a basic class (?!). tsk tsk.

i consider language one of the three basics. my other basic necessities are housing and employment. i'm sure i'm not alone here. at first i was tackling all of these in one day. a bit of housing search here, a job board there, rewriting/reviewing language class notes...i was so on edge that the smallest disappointment became a breaking point.

housing in Amsterdam is a funny thing. it's limited. the city council wants to keep it that way, which i like, to be honest. the fact that squatting was only outlawed (sort of) around june 2010 makes for an interesting variety of interiors throughout holland. most vacancies (te huur) seem to be rented quite quickly, even if they are substandard. the phrasing 'furnished' can mean anything from a heel gezellig home to a place filled with things that were definitely discarded by the neighbors.

the process of becoming employed has allowed for many learnings. my wonderful american resume that still attracts offers in san francisco was treated like a digital leper. initially my online applications would be swiftly returned and rejected, i doubt people ever read past the first line. they didn't know how to read it. a dutch cv looks nothing like an american resume. it took me awhile to accept that i'd have to rewrite my american resume, but once i did it there was an amazing weight lifted off my shoulders. i sent the new (expanded) dutch cv out as an re: to all those rejection emails and have had wonderful feedback. really really great. very happy.

beyond becoming employed, dutch work contracts are much different than those in america...and by different, i mean better. vacation days start at five weeks, and there is much more job security. the overall feeling is that the company is investing in you, and you in them. it's a good feeling.

in future posts i will get deeper into the details of these subjects, and will solicit other expats to share their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment